Skip to main content

Chia Seeds - I have found my secret weapon!

I have heard of Chia Seeds once before when I was looking through one of Tosca Reno's meal plans and saw them. I didn't think much of it, what can some seeds do for my diet and weight loss journey? Nothing...or so I thought!

Turns out these little seeds are packed with benefits! 

(In order to enjoy all the health and nutritional benefits of chia seeds, it is recommended that at least 1 to 4 table spoons be consumed daily. They also do not need to be ground like flax seeds does in order for your body to absorb the vitamins and essential fatty acids)

Bursting with Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids, fiber and B-vitamins, Chia Seeds also contain high levels of protein and calcium. Chia seeds contain more omega-3 than any fish out there, equivalent to about 8 times what is normally found in pink salmon!

When Chia Seeds are exposed to water – its complex structure of dietary fiber absorbs the water and turns into a gel. When this gel gets into our digestive system, it does two things: 

1. Effectively scours and cleans our intestinal tract, which improves our body’s nutrient absorption; secondly, it acts as a barrier between the walls of our intestines and any carbohydrates we consume. This barrier slows down and stabilizes the absorption of sugar into our blood stream. This means that the energy from this sugar lasts longer and is used more efficiently by the body. This is particularly beneficial to people suffering from diabetes, for whom the constant monitoring and maintenance of blood sugar levels is an essential, if tedious, fact of life. 

2. The gel’s ability to hold water and make the body feel full for longer make chia seeds an attractive alternative for athletes and dieters alike.

Below are more comparisons of Chia Seeds VS. other food:


See this website for the top ten reasons why Chia Seeds are so good for you and your diet:
or this informative video on Chia Seeds:



How to use Chia Seeds:
- One way you (my favourite way) can eat them is to mix one tablespoon of chia seeds with 1/3 cup water, stir and let them sit for a minimum of 10 minutes or even 1 hour depending on when you need to eat them. Stirring every once in a while to break up any clumps. After soaking they form a jelly like outer layer that is virtually tasteless and have the constituency of Tapioca.

- You can also add them dry into pancakes, muffins, on salad and more!

undefined
I found mine at my local London Drugs in the organic/spices aisle from a brand called TruRoots for $12.99 for a whole bag which lasts a long time and is well worth the money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tea Sparrow Tea Review

Since I love tea and I received samples in the mail from a friend I am going to do a review on these particular brands of tea that " Tea Sparrow " sells and they are all  absolutely amazing! Tea sparrow is a very unique idea, you suscribe monthly and each month they send you a box full of different teas. Here is a blurb from their website of how it is works: "With your Tea Sparrow subscription, you'll receive a mix of our 4 favourite premium loose leaf teas. Each month you can look forward to receiving a total of 4 oz of tea, 1 oz of each blend. Every tea box includes a selection of both herbal and caffeinated blends to enjoy." This a cup of brewed "Lychee Rose" chinese black tea with rose petals and natural flavours. All of the flavours I received were unqiquely different, but equally aromatic and delicious. Here is a list of the teas I recieved. Red Rocks: Is a blend of Rooibos (also known as red bush), almond bits, and vanilla. This one has

Chia Seeds for a Healthy Pregnancy

I have posted about Chia Seeds before because I am crazy about them and I think they are the best thing for any person who wants to start eating clean & healthy! For those who are pregnant heres why you should eat for you and your baby! Great Source of Omega-3 Every pregnant women knows how essential Omega-3 fatty acids are for a baby’s brain development. Most people choose to meet their daily requirement by consuming salmon or  fish oil supplements , however, the mercury content in fish tends to make most pregnant women worried. Chia is a great alternative! For such a tiny seed, chia is quite high in omega-3 fatty acids. Typically nuts and seeds with a high fat content have a short shelf life before they turn rancid, but chia seeds are so rich in antioxidants they can be kept in storage for up to four years without deterioration. Replenish Lost Nutrients Pregnancy is very demanding on your body. Chia seeds pack a powerful antioxidant punch to help replace some of

Fruits or Vegetables?

It has been a LONG time since I last posted! Since being pregnant I've had one baby and managed to get back to my pre-pregnany weight (WOOHOO!), now I am all into toning through full-body workouts, cardio and eating clean! (Me recently in photo above doing a stretch next to my new spin bike!) Lately all over instagram I see all these fitness pages with pictures of fruit and NO veggies! A little fruit is good of course, but we must eat veggies daily as well. For example, in the morning usually I eat half a banana because they are high in sugar, but I eat as much veggies as I want. When your in my position and trying to loose those last stubborn ten lbs. cutting any unnecessary sugar can make a difference in your caloric intake for the day! Plus t he rainbow of vegetables provides essential antioxidants such as vitamins A and C and minerals such as selenium, which fight free radicals that can cause cell damage.   Trying to loose those last ten pounds and look lean!? My advice cu